19 December 2006

Roast Squash, Pomegranate, and Pecan Salad


This is a lovely salad for your winter table. Perhaps a first course for Christmas dinner, where it's bright orange and red colors will sparkle, or as a light lunch with some soup or bread on the side. I love roast squash, especially in wedges where it reminds me of french fries, but so much better for you. The original recipe called for roast chestnuts, and by all means use them if you have some. I had nice Texas pecans on hand, and their crunch complimented the bursting pomegranate seeds. I found myself trying to gather all the elements onto my fork for that perfect bite: soft squash, nutty pecan, sour juicy pomegranate. I'll be making this one again.


Roast Squash, Pomegranate, and Pecan Salad
adapted from Gourmet Nov. 2004

1 head curly lettuce, frisee, or chicory
1 small acorn squash
1 cup pecan halves
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
for dressing:
1 tbl olive oil
2 tbl pomegranate molasses
1 tsp mustard

-Preheat the oven to 450 F. Cut the ends of the squash, then cut in half and scrape out the seeds. Slice the squash into thick wedges and brush the wedges with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the slices on their sides on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender, 15-20 minutes, flipping the slices over halfway through.
-Tear the lettuce into pieces. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Toss the lettuce with half the dressing to coat. Combine the lettuce, squash slices, pecans, and pomegranate. Drizzle the remaining dressing over top and serve.

1 comment:

Orit said...

I know this recipe has been on line for a while...and I've been making it since it first was posted. I love, love, love it.
And now that big juicy seedy pomegranates are back in my grocery store I'm inviting a bunch of people over for lunch tomorrow just to eat this...and yummy soup and homemade corn spoon bread (also from this site). I have never tried a recipe of yours that wasn't totally fabulous, easy, fresh, healthy and did I say fabulous????