11 July 2007

Housekeeping

A few housekeeping things around the Desert Candy abode today: It was only through some nice reader comments that I even knew I was a 'Blog of Note,' and I want to express my sincere gratitude to whoever has been reading along and making note. It's nice to know there's someone out there other than my mother. I want to welcome all the new readers and I hope you'll stick around and keep sharing your brilliant insights and random thoughts, I'm flattered to hear from all of you. Due to the uptick in comments, I had to enable the 'moderate comments' feature in order to prevent spam, but I hope that won't deter anyone from commenting in the future!

I also noticed when I was doing some cleanup in the recipe section that Desert Candy is seriosuly lacking in the soup section. How could this be, since I adore soups and make them often?! I love smooth pureed soups and I usually make them with whatever I have on hand, carrot ginger is a favorite, or a chilled vichyssoise or tomato bisque. Since I wouldn't dare leave you without a recipe, I did a little cleaning of my own, and found this chickpea soup I made back in the winter, topped with cumin oil. This soup is easy as can be (in keeping with today's clean out the pantry theme) and absolutely delicious. And now back to regularly-scheduled programming...

Creamy Chickpea Soup with Cumin Oil
This soup is best when made with fresh-cooked chickpeas, but you can use canned also.

3 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas with their liquid
half a medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 cup cream or milk, optional

1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Place the chickpeas with some of their liquid in a pot with the onion and garlic. There should be enough liquid to cover the chickpeas, add water or chickpea liquid as necessary. Bring the mixture to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, replenishing water as necessary.
2. Meanwhile, make the cumin oil. In a dry skillet, lightly toast the cumin seeds until just fragrant. Remove from the heat and grind in a coffee grinder or crush with a mortar and pestle. Heat the olive oil in a skillet until shimmering, add the ground cumin, swirling to combine, and remove from the heat.
3. Puree the chickpea soup in a blender until smooth. Add more water or some vegetable broth to thin the soup to your desired consistency. (If you are really picky, you can also press the soup through a sieve or tamis to ensure it is super-smooth). Stir in the cream, if using. Taste for seasoning, add salt or pepper if needed. Ladle the warm soup into bowls, swirl the cumin oil over top.
_____________

32 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious! I found your blog through Blogs of Note, and I've put it in my favorites. I intend to try some of your recipes soon!

marcelo said...

Wow your blog is awesome !!! It has so many things !!!

Take care !

Marcelo

Hilda said...

lovely, I too love soups that are smooth like carrot/ginger and this looks especially tasty. I'll have to try it soon if we keep having this awful rainy/cold weather.

Peabody said...

Never had chicpeas in soup...I will have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

that looks so good

Sandi said...

What a joy to find your blog. I will be a regular reader. Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking for purple potatoes.

ADMIN said...

so nice of you to share receipes..
will tell my missus about it..

added you into my favourites!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Perfectly soothing. I just love this idea!

Wendy said...

Sounds like a wonderfully soothing soup.

Anonymous said...

Hi desert candy,
Found your blog through blogs of note and I think your blog is great, I love your recipes. I'll definitely be a regular reader from now on...!

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

Mercedes, what a beautiful blog you have! I found it through "blogs of note". Your photos are gorgeous--may I ask what kind of camera/film you use, if not a digital camera? I have a food blog too and I haven't ventured into photo territory yet--I'd be pleased if you'd share your experience.

Yours, Melissa
(melissacooksgourmet.blogspot.com)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Cumin oil . . . that's new to me and very interesting!
I always enjoy chickpeas but haven't tried a soup yet. Thanks for the recipe Mercedes!

Mercedes said...

Ewokgirl, Marcelo, Sandie, and Anmootie welcome!

Hilda- i could only dream of cool or rainy weather, we're melting here!

Peabody- there are lots of good soups with chickpeas in them, though many are of the more stew-like variety. Kale, chickpeas, onions, and potatoes is good in winter.

Thanks Meeta!

You're right Wendy, it's very comforting.

Melissa- welcome. All those beautiful food blogs you see out there usually use digital SLR cameras. I'm the exception, I use a very inexpensive Canon coolpix number. I think you can take perfectly good food photos with good lighting and a good eye without all the fancy equiptment. Thanks for the compliments and hope that helps!

Tanna- thanks. I love cumin, so cumin oil was a natural evolution.

Bonnie said...

mmmmm, I love soup! I'm saving this one for a rainy day!!!

Wahzat Gayle said...

Oh have to say that this looks and sound good.

I really enjoying your recipe and thank you for clearing up the hummus issue, because it drives me bonkers too.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I tried this soup earlier this week. My husband, who is a meat freak, LOVED it. He didn't even complain that there was no meat! And he declared this recipe a keeper. (And I agree!)

Mercedes said...

Ewokgirl- that is so great! don't you love convincing meat eaters otherwise! so glad you liked it!

ekhtsasy said...

شركة تسليك مجارى بالقطيف
شركة تسليك مجارى برأس تنورة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخرج
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
شركة تنظيف شقق بالخرج
شركة تنظيف بالخرج
شركة تنظيف كنب بجدة
شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة نقل اثاث بجدة
شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركة نظافة بجدة
شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة
شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف شقق بجدة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بجدة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجدة

مروة محمد said...


شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
تختص شركتنا بكافة أعمال التنظيف المنزلية ,والتي قد تتطلب مجهودا بدنيا شاقا قد يعجز أفراد الأسرة عن إنجازه وبشكل احترافي
https://www.khpeer.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%B8%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%85%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%B2%D9%84-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%AC/

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالخرج
عمالة مدربة و على أعلى مستوى من الاحترافية يضمن لك الحصول على أفضل النتائج لإرضائك فرضاؤكم هو هدفنا
https://www.khpeer.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%B8%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%85%D8%AC%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B3-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%AC/

شركة تنظيف موكيت بالخرج
تقدم الشركة خدمات تنظيف وبأفضل مستوى للموكيت و السجاد و بأجود أنواع العمالة المدربة وبأسعار تناسب جميع العملاء
https://www.khpeer.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%B8%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%85%D9%88%D9%83%D9%8A%D8%AA-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%AC/

El Awal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
al ghadeer said...

شركة عزل فوم بالخفجى
شركة عزل فوم بالرياض
شركة عزل فوم
شركة عزل فوم بالباحة
__________________________________________________________________

شركة عزل فوم بالمزاحمية
شركة عزل فوم بصفوى
شركة عزل فوم بالدمام

al ghadeer said...

شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بسيهات
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالظهران
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء
___________________________________________
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالظهران
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالظهران

al ghadeer said...

شركة امست لمكافحة الحشرات بالاحساء
شركة امست للتنظيف بالاحساء
شركة امست لمكافحة الحشرات بالقطيف
شركة امست لمكافحة الحشرات بالجبيل
شركة امست للتنظيف بالجبيل
شركة امست للتنظيف بالقطيف
شركة ماسة لمكافحة الحشرات بالظهران
شركة ماسه لمكافحة الحشرات بالدمام

miro ali said...

شركه تنظيف منازل بجازان
شركه تنظيف مجالس بجازان
شركه تنظيف موكيت بجازان
شركه تسليك مجاري بجازان
شركه مكافحة حشرات بجازان


شركه مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركه تنظيف كنب بالاحساء
شركه تنظيف مجالس بالنعيرية
شركه تسليك مجاري بالاحساء
الموقع الالكتروني
https://keenoz.com/

رواد الحرمين said...

عزيزى العميل اهلا ومرحبا بك فى موقع مؤسسة الحرمــين للمقاولات العامة والعوازل
شركه عزل فوم بالاحساء و الرياض
الموقع الرائد فى عالم الخدمات المنزليه والاول بالمملكه العربيه السعوديه لما يتمتع به من خدمات مميزه ، فالبرغم من اننا مؤسسه ربحيه الا ان مزاولة نشاطتنا


شركه عزل فوم بجدة


شركه عزل فوم بمكة



شركه عزل فوم بالرياض كلها مرتبط على نحو وثيق بتلبية طلبات وحاجات عملائنا ولتحقيق ذلك الهدف نقدم لك كافة الخدمات الشامله بالالتزام الصارم وبأرقى المعايير المهنيه المتطوره
فلدينا خبره طويله فى مجال مكافحة الحشرات والكشف عن التسربات وتسليك المجارى وعزل الاسطح وترميم وصيانه المنازل وتخزينه بكفاءة منقطعة النظير ، لا تتردد واتصل
بموقع مؤسسة الحرمــين فخدماتنا ليس لها بديل واسعارنا ليس لها مثيل ،ولدينا فريق عمل يتصل مع العملاء على جسور الثقه
والصدق والامانه فى العمل ، وهدفنا هو ارضاؤك وراحتك ، لا تقلق ونحن معك
لا تجهد نفسك ونحن تحت امرك ورهن اشارتك .
أبرز خدمات مؤسسة الحرمــين للمقاولات العامة بالدمام والرياض

شركه عزل فوم بالدمام

http://tameerksa.com/ said...

شركة التعميرللصيانة والخدمات المنزلية 0538599044
شركة التعمير بالرياض رقم التواصل 0538599044 لسنا الوحيدون ولكننا الأفضل .
شركة التعمير هي شركة متخصصة فى مجال الصيانة المنزلية وكشف التسربات والعوازل ويوجد أفضل المتخصصين فى مجال فحص الشقق والفلل قبل الشراء.
شركة التعمير
شركة التعميرللصيانة والخدمات المنزلية 0538599044

mr.redagamal said...


شركة عزل اسطح بجازان

شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان

شركة تنظيف بجازان


نانا الطيب said...


شركه عزل فوم بالدمام


تركيب حجر فرعني



شركه كشف تسربات المياه بجدة




شركه كشف تسربات المياه بمكة


شركه عزل فوم بالرياض

شركه عزل فوم بالدمام

Zonahobisaya said...

Resep Masakan
Sinopsis Film
Biodata
Profil
Sinopsis Film

tawkl said...

شركة تنظيف بالنماص



شركة تنظيف برجال المع



شركة تنظيف بحوطة بني تميم



شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمجمعة



شركة تنظيف منازل بالمجمعة



شركة تنظيف مجالس بالمجمعة



شركة تنظيف منازل بالدرب



شركة تنظيف منازل بظهران الجنوب



شركة تنظيف منازل باحد رفيدة


ESLAM UWK said...

يوجد الكثير من شركات اثاث مكتبى فى مصر ويحتار الكثير من العملاء في اختيار افضل شركة اثاث مكتبي نقدم لكم افضل شركة اثاث مكتبي في مصر شركة ستار وود تتميز الشركة بجودة قطع الاثاث المكتبي و اسعار تناسب الجميع .

ddgfrgf said...


مكتب خادمات للتنازل بالرياض

خادمات سيرلانكا للتنازل بالرياض

خادمات للتنازل بالرياض

خادمات للتنازل بأقل الاسعار