12 January 2010

Pomegranate Yogurt Dip

Last year I had a holiday party and at the last minute I realized that all those people I invited? They were actually coming. And that feeding 80 people was going to be a bit of a stretch. Some one had brought a bunch of freshly sliced vegetables, and I reached into the fridge to see what I could find to go with them.

What I found was sour cream, yogurt and pomegranate seeds. I doctored them with a touch of lemon juice and a sprinkling of allspice, and voila, a dip was born. It was so good, bright and crunchy and creamy, I've made it several times since. It goes well with celery sticks, but I like it on its own for breakfast, or spread over enchiladas.

Pomegranate Yogurt Dip

1 cup low-fat sour cream
1 1/2 cups Greek-style yogurt
1 large pomegranate, just the seeds
zest of half a lemon
1/8 teaspoon salt
sprinkling of allspice

1. Combine the yogurt, sour cream, lemon and allspice. Stir well, then gently fold in the pomegranate seeds. Serve as desired.

9 comments:

Siân said...

What a coincidence I made the indian variation, raita, yesterday! It's really refreshing with the pomegranate seeds.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea! I really like this dip. Maybe I could add a tsp or two of tahini to it!

Alejandra Ramos said...

I can tell that my boyfriend would love this. He loves pomegranate seeds and sour cream...this will be a win. Thanks for sharing!

arcadia said...

what a lovely dish. you now have me craving pomegranates.

Barbara said...

Just biting into this would be a mouthful of flavor. Those little seeds are divine. I've used them in lots of salads, never thought of a dip. Thanks!

Mark Scarbrough said...

Fantastic. I'm also thinking of it with skyr, that cheesy yogurt from Iceland. Thicker for sure, but it might hold up well as a dip.

Azita Mehran said...

Love this recipe! I have all the ingredients to make this dip except pomegranates. I'm thinking of using 2 tablespoons of permanganate syrup and adding walnuts to give it some crunch!

kitchen table said...

My pomegranate tree is now at its peak. I don't know why it was like kind of late for the tree to bloom. I like the dip!

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home said...

This is so beautiful in its simplicity. This sounds like a good dip for crunchy spiced pita bread chips!