15 January 2013

Cabbage, Apricot, Walnut Salad


DSC_0141

Admittedly, this is something I made in the last few days as we were going out of town, an attempt to use up the odds and ends in the fridge. I had no intention to post this here, but it turned out to be pretty darn good, and an easy healthy thing to take for lunch. I tend to make a lot of grain salads like this one as they keep well and are satisfying and easy.

I have noticed that whenever I buy a head of red cabbage it seems to multiply exponentially. First, I use half of it to make my favorite braised red cabbage, the slivers filling up my large cast iron skillet as they cook down. Then, I use some of it to make a salad, or to saute quickly and serve alongside some chicken or fish. But every time I look into the vegetable bin, it's still there, taunting me. How have I not used this all up yet?!?!

DSC_0139DSC_0140

If you have the same red cabbage problem I do, then this salad may be an answer. Also, blitzing it in the food processor is a nice way to chop it quickly, for whatever dish you're trying to dispatch it with. Two things you should be warned about this salad, one it has that sulfurous cabbage smell. so if that bothers you, then this might not be the salad for you. Second, be generous with the dressing, as it needs quite a bit to keep it moist.

DSC_0137

Cabbage, Apricot, Walnut Salad

2 cups cooked couscous (or bulgur or quinoa)
1/4 of a small head of red cabbage (use 1/8 of a large head)
1 cup of whole dried apricots
1/2 cup walnut pieces or toasted hazelnuts
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch allspice
salt, pepper
juice of 1 lemon
olive oil

1. Chop the apricots into small pieces. Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet and set aside.
2. Roughly chop the cabbage, then place in a food processor and pulse until chopped into very small bits.
3. Combine couscous/bulgur, red cabbage, apricots, toasted walnuts, cilantro, parsley in a bowl. Add the cinnamon and allspice and season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the lemon juice and olive oil, tossing to coat. I usually eyeball the olive oil, but if you need a measurement I'd go with about 1/4 cup (this salad tends to need more oil then you think otherwise it verges on dry). Taste for seasoning, serve.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

This salad looks wonderful. I am going to add it to my list of "not caesar salad, thank goodness" recipes...

Yasmeen said...

What a beautifully colored salad. Lately I've become keen on red cabbage, and I'm drawn to your unique way of pairing it with cous cous, which we have often! Lovely.

Anonymous said...

What the heck is going on in Algiers? Are you in danger?

Vicki in Georgia

Darya said...

I used your recipe as an inspiration for tonight's dinner. I used quinoa, replaced the apricots with dates (I was out of apricots), but otherwise pretty much followed your instructions. It turned out a simple, quick, satisfying, and delicious dinner. Thank you!

Mercedes said...

Darya, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

We are fine and safe here in Algiers, thanks to those who asked.