23 August 2007

Day 12: Olive Oil Ice Cream


Ceci n'est pas une salade: Olive Oil Ice Cream with Balsamic Chocolate Sauce

If you don’t live in Italy or New York, or haven’t spent much time there, you’re probably thinking I’m totally crazy. Olive oil ice cream, what is she thinking?! If you do live in one of those places, olive oil ice cream is probably old hat for you. In Italy, ice cream is sometimes served with a drizzle of olive oil on top and then a sprinkling of sea salt. It’s a surprising combination, but most surprising in how delicious it is, with the creamy vanilla ice cream accented by the best fruity olive oil and the mellow enhancement of good sea salt. Along those lines, Mario Batali’s pizzeria Otto started churning up an olive oil ice cream a few years ago and New Yorkers went crazy for it. It was the hot food trend everybody talked about, and you can even buy it from a special cart in Washington Square Park.



But why spend $5 on a scoop when I can make excellent olive oil ice cream at home? Even though I had enjoyed Otto’s olive oil gelato, I was still a bit skeptical about how my homemade version would turn out. And you know what, I think my version’s even better! I loved this ice cream, it’s not at all oily, and in fact the oil seems to freeze in the teeniest-tiniest little globles that give the ice cream a wonderful creamy but light texture with a burst of fruity flavor. The only specification would be that you’ll want to use the real stuff- a nice fruity extra virgin olive oil.* This is definitely an ice cream I’d encourage people to make: it’s not something you can buy at the store and it’s truly delicious.

Now that I’ve convinced you to make olive oil ice cream (really, you’re going to, right?), you have to try it with the traditional accompaniement: a few flecks of sea salt on top, or even better, chocolate covered fleur de sel. I actually chose to make a balsamic chocolate sauce and I’m pleased to report olive oil and balsamic go together just as well at the dessert table as they do at the salad bar. However, if you are trepidatious, and I quite understand that I may have gone off the deep end of flavor-experimentation, be comforted to know that olive oil ice cream pairs wonderfully with regular chocolate or sliced fruit.

* CARM, an organic Portuguese label available Whole Foods, is a good inexpensive olive oil. I’ve been addicted to the Tuscan Laudemio ever since I started using it.


"You always were a messy eater."

Olive Oil Ice Cream
Adapted from David Lebovitz.

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch sea salt
4 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fruity olive oil

1. Whisk together the egg yolks in a small bowl. Put the heavy cream in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
2. Place the milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add a bit of the warm milk into the egg yolks in a thin stream, stirring to combine, then add the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (do not boil or it will curdle).
3. Pour the custard through the strainer into the heavy cream. Stir to combine, then whisk in the olive oil. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (3-4 hours please).
4. Whisk the chilled custard until well combined, then pour into your ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's directions. Store in the freezer.

Ideas for Serving:
- Serve with a few flecks of sea salt on top.
- This goes nicely with fruit, particularly sliced strawberries or some roasted apricots.
- Serve with Balsamic Chocolate Sauce (see recipe below) or pair with balsamic ice cream.
- Drizzle some bittersweet chocolate sauce over top or make Olive-Oil Cocoa-Nib Ice Cream.

Balsamic Chocolate Sauce
1 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
2 tbl sugar
2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped

1. Place the balsamic in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer the balsamic over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup (this could take as long as 20-30 minutes). Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the sugar and chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and everything is combined. Drizzle over ice cream or use as desired.
______________________________________________________

25 comments:

Rosemary said...

I have been watching all the wonderful ice-creams you have been doing this month with avid interest.
The olive oil one is surprising, but looks good.
Can hardly wait for the next.
Thanks.

June said...

I am enjoying your ice cream challenge! I might even be tempted to try some when I get an ice cream machine. Lovely blog.

Brilynn said...

I've been really wanting to make this, but I'm afraid I'll be the only one to eat it!

Anonymous said...

Ok now THIS is intriguing! The ice cream challenge just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for sharing this delicacy with us Non-New Yorkers or Italians!

Anonymous said...

Mercedes, I am LOVING the photos for this entry. And the chocolate balsamic sauce? Fantastic. Love it, love it.

Doña Col said...

Hello Mercedes...
I have just discovered your blog and it fascinates me... Your desserts seems delicious.
Because of it, I've decided to do a reference to it in my own blog.
I don't know if you will speak Spanish, but just in case, I write to you the http in order that you see what I've written.
From today I will be assiduous reading of your blog.
Regards from Spain.

KJ said...

I'm loving your ice cream challenge. Olive oil ice cream I'm just not sure about. I'd definitely try it though.

Mercedes said...

Oh brilynn, you've got to make it. Just make a half-batch, and I'm sure you'll find at least one other person who will enjoy it. I served it at a dinner party to about 6 people. Most people really liked it, but there were a couple skeptics, then again one doesn't like ice cream, and one isn't an adventurous eater. And they all loved the chocolate sauce, too.

thanks for the comments everyone!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Olive oil ice cream with sea salt is my absolute favorite! We have a restaurant a few blocks from us that does a great version, and we, being the laziest of lazy New Yorkers, get this dish delivered! I'm so embarrassed.

mike said...

Ever thought about doing a standalone chocolate balsamic flavor? maybe even drizzled with olive oil for a full role reversal

Anonymous said...

Zaytinya, a mediteranean restaurant here in Washington, D.C. has an olive oil ice cream for dessert; it is fantastic. Anybody who loves the taste of high quality olive oils should love olive oil ice cream. I decided to make some at home and came across your recipe via Google. I'm trying it tonight and I'll report back.

Human Rights. YES! said...

Thank you so much! I have recently returned from Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore, great new restaurant in an old foundry building where the US Capitol columns were made. I had olive oil ice cream, with figs and a chocolate bread pudding round. I found this recipe and I am really excited to try it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I have recently returned from Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore, great new restaurant in an old foundry building where the US Capitol columns were made. I had olive oil ice cream, with figs and a chocolate bread pudding round. I found this recipe and I am really excited to try it!

David said...

great combination, adding chocolate & balsamic. yum!

Kasey said...

I had the ultimate pleasure of eating at Otto back in March and was convinced by my dining companion to try their olive oil gelato. I was skeptical as most, I'd say, but SO glad I ultimately tried it. Can't wait to get my hands on an ice cream maker (any recommendations?) and give this recipe a go.

Cherry Blossom said...

great post - superb recipe and wonderful blog!!
thank you very much - alissa

designaire said...

I made this delicious dessert for a group of foodies==I added dried lavender blossoms and took it to the moon! Fabulous recipe

foodie said...

With regards to the previous comment, most foodies I know, myself included, *loathe* lavender in almost any amount. If you enjoy eating grandmother's hand soaps, possibly, but otherwise, steer clear!

Rachel said...

Hi! The first time I made this ice cream, it was absolutely amazing - I had never made such creamy, smooth, rich ice cream. But this week I tried it twice again, and when it came out of the ice cream maker almost grainy and crystalized - not at all as creamy as the first time. Any ideas why?

Bea said...

Going to make this tonight!

Barbara Nimmo said...

I stumbled upon your post on Olive Oil Ice Cream, and it has me both intrigued and eager to try something new in the kitchen! Your detailed description of the process and the flavors involved is truly captivating.
cash app barcode to load money at 7 eleven

Ashlee Rolfson said...

Thank you for sharing your culinary creativity. I can't wait to see what delicious delights you whip up next! As you embark on your culinary adventures, have you considered exploring how to use venmo balance instead of card

Timothee Lambert said...

"I love how your blog is not just about information but also about fostering a sense of community. The way you engage with your readers in the comments section shows your genuine interest in creating a dialogue. Keep up the excellent work!"
https://savingcentstogether.com/promotions/7now-promo-code

Edvin Berg said...

"Your commitment to clarity deserves commendation. Complex topics become accessible through your straightforward and well-organized writing. Thank you for making learning an enjoyable and effortless experience."
chuck e cheese coupons 100 tokens for $20

Jennifer Walsh said...

Your exploration of Olive Oil Ice Cream on Day 12 is a gustatory delight! Just like discovering hidden promos, your blog unfolds layers of flavors. The richness and uniqueness of your content are as satisfying as stumbling upon exclusive promotions – a true treat for the senses! UsePromos