13 August 2007

Day 2: Peppermint Ice Cream

peppermint ice cream

Of all the ice cream flavors to include in this project, I had to make peppermint ice cream. I’m a peppermint ice cream fanatic! Every Christmas I used to stock up on gallons of the pink Edy’s stuff, but it would only last me until about February and then what was I to do? The first thing I learned was that you can soften vanilla ice cream and fold in peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candies, but then I found this homemade version and I’ve never looked back. I like that this ice cream is very easy to make, no fussing with eggs or extracts, though if you prefer a custard style ice cream I've got my eye on Elise’s recipe. Besides, what can be better on a hot day than the cool flavor of freshly churned peppermint ice cream? I still don’t understand why peppermint ice cream isn’t available year-round, but now I can have it whenever I want!



Peppermint Ice Cream
I like that this ice cream uses crushed peppermint candies to flavor the ice cream, instead of the peppermint extract many recipes call for, which I never have on hand. Adapted from Emily Luchetti.

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
28 hard peppermint candies, 14 finely crushed, 14 coarsely crushed
pinch salt

1. Combine the milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and finely crushed candies in a saucepan. Stir well to dissolve the cornstarch. Cook over low heat, stirring so that the sugar dissolves, until it begins to bubble around the edges of the pan and thickens ever-so-slightly. Remove from the heat and chill in an ice bath. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill completely (at least 2 hours).
2. Strain the custard, then churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Add the coarsely crushed peppermint candies at the very end of churning. Store in the freezer.
____________________________________________________

10 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

See Mercedes I just knew there was something about you and now I find we're sisters! Nothing is better than Peppermint Ice Cream. Like you I have no understanding as to why this only appears at Christmas - this is all year long flavor!! What's wrong with people out there!
Love this!

Unknown said...

That is definitely a must make!!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's offering. :-)

I finally succeeded with my quest for a successful Hokey Pokey icecream. Tastes just like I remember!!!

Brilynn said...

I love that you're doing an ice cream challenge, this is going to be a great 24 days!

Aoife said...

Oooh, pretty. I agree that peppermint should be a year-round flavor -- especially in the summertime, when we can all use a little refreshment.

Mercedes said...

thanks everyone. Just 21 days Brilyynn, I don't think I could handle a minute more!

Pam said...

That ice cream looks absolutely perfect, just like at my favorite scoop shop. In Boston, I can think of at least two places to get peppermint stick year-round!

Anonymous said...

I just made this yesterday, using your exact recipe but I added some peppermint extract as well because I like it really minty. It's GREAT! Thanks!

ken said...

My dilemma growing up was always whether to get peppermint stick or mint chocolate chip ice cream at Friendly's. Usually I got a sundae and got both.

For anyone interested, Isaac Mizrahi's (yes, really!) mint choc chip recipe on epicurious is FANTASTIC. I'm really happy to have this peppermint one now so I can relive my youth.

Also, Mercedes, I love you say that you never have any peppermint extract on hand but apparently you always have 24 peppermint candies!

ken said...

My dilemma growing up was always whether to get peppermint stick or mint chocolate chip ice cream at Friendly's. Usually I got a sundae and got both.

For anyone interested, Isaac Mizrahi's (yes, really!) mint choc chip recipe on epicurious is FANTASTIC. I'm really happy to have this peppermint one now so I can relive my youth.

Also, Mercedes, I love you say that you never have any peppermint extract on hand but apparently you always have 24 peppermint candies!

Unknown said...

FYI, if you live in an area where Braums ice cream stores are at, they have peppermint year round!! I'm eating some now 😃👍